Monday, July 9, 2012

Mexican tuna salad

I grew up eating tuna salad in Mexico, especially in the summer. It's super cheap, tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day. I like to put it pita pockets for a fast and healthy lunch. This is the basic recipe, although I normally add whatever is on hand so the ingredients change from time to time. In Mexico, this recipe normally contains some elbow macaroni, but I was in a hurry and starving when I made this. I also like to add cilantro and jalapeno peppers for an extra punch. Healthy food should be delicious!


Pita pockets stuffed with Mexican tuna salad
1 can of tuna, drained
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 red bell pepper
1/8 cup. diced white or red onion
1 spoonful of Mayo (omit for a healthier option, or use only 1/2 spoonful) 
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: drain one can of tuna salad and put all ingredients in a mixing bow. You do not have to thaw out the corn and peas because they will cool off your room temperature tuna and will be ready to eat by the time you sit down. Mix ingredients and then stuff inside pita pockets. Yields 4 mini pita pockets.

No comments: